Chinese honey dates, also known as Golden Thread Amber Honey Dates. They are larger and sweeter (as sweet as honey) than dried red dates. These dates are used as sweetener in traditional Chinese healing soups and drinks. They are also high in iron and considered “cooling”.
Apple and Honey Dates Drink:
(will yield approx about 10-12 cups of delicious drink)
• 20 small apples (may add more if you wish)
• 12-15 dried honey dates • 5 litres water
• rock sugar or granulated sugar (to taste, optional)
1. Put water in deep stockpot, cover and bring to boil.
2. Meanwhile, while waiting for water to boil, peel and core apples. Cut to big chunks.
3. When water has come to a boil, add all the apples and the dried honey dates. Cover and allow to boil over medium high heat for about 30 minutes.
4. Lower heat to medium low and boil for another 1 hour. Mash honey dates by pressing it against the stockpot with a ladle. You may add sugar at this stage if desired. Cover and allow to boil for another 30 minutes.
5. Strain into a serving jug and serve either warm or cold with some ice. Or when drink is no longer hot, simply place the whole jug in the refrigerator to chill and enjoy this delicious drink chilled. Really refreshing!