Codonopsis root is effective in boosting the health of your immune system; promoting better mental sharpness and memory, and generally as an adaptogen. Supporting good function of lungs and spleen.
1) Boost blood quality: Some studies suggest that codonopsis root can help to boost the amount of haemoglobin in the blood and increase the number of red blood corpuscles in the blood.
2) Improve stress response: This herb has been used for years to help with hypertension and to boost your endurance for stress. It seems to help the body deal with the various symptoms of stress, such as muscle tension, fatigue, headaches, high blood pressure and adrenaline.
3) Helps with digestion: This root is thought to help the body with loss of appetite, and also can be helpful in relieving diarrhoea and vomiting.
Steamed Chicken with Codonopsis Root (Dang Shen) & Goji Recipe
• 1/2 chicken, skin removed
• 5-6 sticks codonopsis roots (dang Shen), steamed for 10-15
• 2 tbsp wolfberries, soaked in water for 15 minutes
• 2 slices ginger, thinly shredded
• pinch of salt
• 1/2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
• 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
• 4 tbsp water
1. Gently rub salt over the chicken and transfer to a steaming dish. Arrange the codonopsis and goji over the chicken.
2. Mix water, wine, light soy sauce and sugar in a bowl and drizzle sauce over the chicken.
3. Steam at high heat for about 20 minutes or till chicken is thoroughly cooked.
4. Once the chicken is done, remove the codonopsis root and serve hot.